Rock chip repair for windshields in Edmonds, WA and Northern Seattle
Windshield repair professionals estimate 75 percent of damaged windshields can be repaired instead of replaced. As long as the windshield damage is not in the direct line of sight of the driver, it may be repairable. If so, repairing a windshield instead of replacing it will save you hundreds of dollars. In fact, most insurance companies will even waive the deductible amount costing you nothing to repair the windshield.
Can my windshield be repaired?
Most "rock chips" can be repaired if the damage is not in the driver's line of vision and no larger than an inch in size. Car Tech Auto Glass' team of expert auto glass repair technicians will evaluate the damage to your windshield and determine if it is repairable.
The National Glass Association recommends that any windshield damage be fixed as soon as possible. Allowing windshield damage to be exposed to the natural elements for any length of time will only make the damage worse. Exposure to dirt and extreme temperature changes will make the damaged area larger and eventually lead to a complete windshield replacement as the only option. Car Tech Auto Glass' team of expert windshield repair technicians can evaluate the damage to your windshield and determine if a windshield repair or complete windshield replacement is necessary.
Windshield repair is also a quick solution to fix windshield damage and can usually be completed in less than a half hour. The most common repair technique follows these steps:
- The windshield repair technician first drills into the rock chip
- Vacuum pressure is applied to the rock chip
- Specially-formulated resin in injected into the rock chip
- The resins used to repair windshield rock chips are optically compatible and specially formulated to have the same refractive characteristics as O.E.M. laminated glass
- Once the resin is injected, the technician uses an ultraviolet light to quickly cure the resin with the glass
- The technician then scrapes any excess resin from the windshield and cleans the glass
The repair is now complete, and the windshield is no longer in danger of cracking further from the point of impact. The goal of windshield repair is to make the repair virtually undetectable.